Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Last day in Maarssen





Today is my last day in Maarssen with the Roelse family. Mary took me on a nice bike ride. We went past the prostitutes on boats outside of Utrech. When the curtains are closed, they are busy and when open they are free. The weather was warm today and the geese were hitting the streets showing off their newbies.

My legs have been sore crazy sore the last two days. Yesterday, I felt like my legs were going to buckle anytime that I took a weird step. The steep dutch stairs were brutal going down. I don't know if I have ever had this intense of pain in my legs after a cross country race. My quads and IT bands are worked. I know that I gave it a lot in the race, but I'm still a little baffled at the intensity of my soreness. Could it be as I get a little older the recovery time is longer for more intense efforts? It makes me feel a little soft. But, it also occured to me that I just might still be tired from the Cape Epic. My coach says that it might take up to four weeks to feel the benefit of that race. We'll see.

Tommorrow I take the train to Offenburg, Germany. I haven't been on an international train in quite a while and I am looking forward to it. Last weekend it was only 2 1/2 hours drive to a world cup and this weekend, five hours on the train. Its not a bad way to go for such suffering.

1 comment: