Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Goodbye skiing
















Of course there is still skiing to be done, but I'm pretty much done. Having gone up to White Grass just about every weekend this winter, its time to stay closer to home and figure out my next move. It was really great working up in Canaan and seeing so many good folks. And skiing was great rehab for my leg, even though it was really hurting making turns.

I got to watch the torchlight parade and fireworks from Canaan Heights. From where I was viewing it, it looked very smoothly executed, but on the ground I heard it was a drunken swarm. The fireworks were very pro and my neighbor had some going on too, so that made it really cool, too. On Sunday, I got to make two runs on my snowboard which was rad. I miss that.

Sunday was the best day ever. I got to ski with great friends whom all happened to be incredible skiers. The doggies got to go along, too which was a rare treat. Even though Ruby was the fun police barking at the whooping and hollering and biting people's skis. I guess that is what you get from a heeler. We skied all day and then had the White Grass staff party that evening.

What a good crew of workers and characters. The guests chefs were Scott and Kyle Weiner, who cooked authentic Indian food. The Fish curry and Bamboo salad were my favorites. The time that must of gone into the prep because each vegetable was cut so thin and perfect. The Chadka went great with everything and is my new fav party drink. Chadka is strongly brewed chaga tea and good vodka. Good for you, too.

The next day, I went into Davis and Thomas and made the rounds. It was great to see Roger from Blackwater Bikes. He is getting very involved in all the trail work going on up there. There is considerable buzz about this "Heart of the Highlands" trail that will connect Davis to the Valley and back around to Davis. Good things are happening there for recreation. The Canaan MTB Festival will happen again this year in support of Tucker Country Trails. So if you are in the area June 25, 26, 27 come out and ride and do trail work.

I saw Laird at the Flying Pigs. He is so bummed he had to cancel the 24 Hour National Championships at Black Bear. The economy is really tough for races like that right now and he just didn't have enough racers. Another sad thing is that he said people have been so mean about the cancellations. In one way this doesn't surprise me, because in general racers can be such a selfish bunch, but on the other hand I'm appalled. Usually, mtbers and the nicest people ever. I wish Laird the best of luck with whatever he decides to get into now. He has a lot of energy for things that he is passionate about.

I got a pizza at Sirianni's to bring home to Tim and ran into the bank. I got out of the bank and realized that Ruby had just devoured my fresh pizza. I was so furious at her. She knows better, but did it anyway. I was so shocked that I must have put my wallet and my checkbook on top of my car and drove away. Thankfully the next day a good citizen from Aurora found it and gave me a call. Thank you world. Ruby had to spend the night tied up on the porch as punishment. I don't doubt she would do it again if given the chance, though.

I also found some baby ramps. I scraped away some leaves and there were the little white fingers sticking up. They were really tasty, but not as good for you as when the green leaves are on them.

I'm considering going to one of the Virgninia Off Road Series this sunday. It looks fun and is a fundraiser for World Bicycle Relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment