Saturday, August 16, 2008

4 weeks






Time is flying by.This is the first time that I've been home for four weeks straight since December. Its been nice that way.

I always knew that I wasn't type A. A lot of bike racers are. I mean I got voted most laid back in high school. I'm pretty mellow(most of the time). This broken leg has reminded me of my ability to relax. This is all in all a good thing. But sometimes I get worried that I'm not ambitious enough or driven. I mean if some people had four weeks to figure out what they are going to do with the rest of their lives, they would have a couple great plans by now. But so far I have nada. Its not the broken leg that has me worried...its the whole job/career thing. Of course, I never planned on being a professional cyclist, so I'm sure something great will happen over time.

The leg is healing good. Good enough to get a professional pedicure from my friend and neighbor, Dana. It makes me happy to see some colored toenails. The swelling has gone down a good bit. I can just start to see some tendons and my ankle bones. My range of motion is much better. I'm relatively pain free. A change in the weather is the only thing that really bothers it.

I have another doctor's appointment on Wednesday. At this point, an Xray should show that the bones are healing. I think I'm getting closer to some partial weight bearing and physical therapy. I'm going to get another acupuncture treatment on Tuesday. I also think I'm ready to do a couple minutes of spinning on the trainer and a little swimming. You know, nothing too ambitious!

I did make it to Amara and Jason's wedding. It was very sweet and romantic. Plus there was some good moonshine and fireworks which is always fun at a wedding.

Ruby is still my best buddy. She is staying close to the "weak" family member. I just bought her a fancy new dog brush called the furminator. It is really good. But she isn't a big fan and I'm having a hard time getting her good. Sitting around the house for four weeks and not being able to vacuum makes me realize just how much hair she loses daily. There is dog hair everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. The awesome (but sometimes scary!) thing about not knowing what's next is that you never know what's next! That is, you may start down a path to a goal and find yourself on another journey that you're meant to be on ... Good things come to good people, and you fit in that category, so it will definitely work out! Glad to hear the healing is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, Just read Chip's site and learned of your injury. We're both so sorry. Love the picture of your toe nail polish. It shows that you have kept your sense of humor. Toe nail polish is such a cool girly thing to do. take your time recovering. I watched Joe try to jump back after his injuries and he still has alot of pain after 5 years. I think if he'd been more gentle to his body during recovery, things would be better for him now. you are in our thoughts. hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You got your toenails painted! I'll be in town this weekend, so let me know if you're in the mood to play some Yatzee or sketch out a new life plan ...I could use one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you are healing and ready to start rehab.

    Mmm moonshine, I'm heading to WV this weekend and have my jar of 'shine ready.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sue - this is Tim's old friend Beth who missed you when I was there in July. I'm totally digging your blog - and since you're laying around - post more!! I love reading it and seeing pics of people and places I love! Can't wait to meet you one of these days. Come to Austin if you can!
    BY

    ReplyDelete