Monday, April 4, 2011

If you want to be a good...keep the creeps out!


This has to be my mantra for tough bike races...Keep the creeps out. What I call the creeps are the dark thoughts that I get when I'm struggling during a bike race. I call them that because they somehow creep into my thoughts even though I'm doing something that I chose to do, paid to do and love to do! The creeps go something like this..."These tires are slow and sticky, that is probably why you are so slow on the road right now." Or " You really need to start training seriously if you don't won't to feel like this." " You shouldn't of had that bag of potato chips and that BLT with extra B." Or the worst of all, " You are going to suffer so much and get your butt kicked up and down the state of Pennsylvania at the Trans-Sylvania Epic if you don't do some real training!" " Then you are so off the back with your training, there is no way, you can catch up to those other girls training base"

I just have to yell, " SHUT the FUCK UP" and it works. I finished the Dragon's Tale race in 5 hours. It was amazingly beautiful and I did fine. I pushed through the overcaffinated belly, the sticky tires, the endless hike a bikes and a very sore neck and upper back to win the race. I was so very tired afterwards, but know that a positive frame of mind has the power to keep the creeps out. The creeps are persistant and pernacious but with positivity, I'll prevail. And I know that I'll be suffering my ass into the saddle at the Trans-Sylvania Epic, but with the right attitude, I accept the suffering and smile and get that adventure vacation that I seek.

2 comments:

  1. I had many many creeps in my mind during the Shenandoah 100. After my legs double cramped I convinced myself it was too much. It was my first time doing it so the creeps had a field day. Kind of like the ego, but not sure where it fits in with the ego. Though they both sit on your shoulder. Thanks for the read and the advice. I will keep it in my mind at my next race. May 14th is coming soon, but I won't listen to them. I don't care how funny people look at me when I scream "Shut the Fuck UP!"

    ReplyDelete