Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fixed Gears




I went out on a trail ride on my pretty new fixed gear. Tim build me up an Eno Hub to go on my Trek aluminum hardtail. Zack sent me a rigid carbon Bontrager fork. Its a beautiful bike. Almost as nice as Tim's carbon fixie. The universial Fixed gear champion, Joel Maynard, took us out on one of his favorite fixie trail rides...Up Hankeys and down Dowell's. I was suffering the first 10 minutes up the hill, then it got fun and very challenging. Its some hard cranking uphill, but its going to make me strong. Plus, I wouldn't be a Harrisonburg local if I didn't have a fixed gear bike.

Now the downhills are a bit scarier, but exciting. I imagine its like going from alpine skiing to backcountry on skinnier skis. It makes the mountain a lot bigger and more difficult.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that climb and descent on fixed is a tremendous feat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as if mountain biking is not hard enough...

    removing the brakes...
    taking away the option to coast...

    single speed is one thing

    fixed gear?

    sorry... I am not drinking the kool aid
    no matter who serves it up

    ReplyDelete